Version 3.0 of the Protocol has now been released, merging all previous versions into a single one. In addition, Devices supporting WITS-DNP3 version 3.0 are now able to make use of the following enhancements:
- Use the Protocol in an optimised manner when devices first establish a communications session, significantly reducing the number of message exchanges between the Master Station and the Field Devices.
- Support enhanced logging features, allowing additional point logging to occur when the Field Device detects that an “incident” has happened. The feature allows an incident to be defined, such as a change of state of a binary point or limit transgression, and then defines what logging is required and over what period of time.
- Support extended definitions for detecting and reporting significant changes of value of analogue points.
- Support the new nameplate details (device attributes) published by the DNP User Group.
- Implement DNP3 secure authentication version 2 (SAv2), secure authentication version 5 (SAv5), or both – thus removing the separate WITS-DNP3 version streams that were present up until now.
All current holders of Technical Documentation Pack Release 6 will be sent a copy of the new Technical Documentation Pack no.7 which supersedes it.
TDP no.7 contains full documentation of WITS Version 3.0 including Application Notes and Device Profiles.
The WITS Road Map on the website has been duly updated.